The Higher Education Academy’s Senior Fellow Writing Retreat is an invaluable opportunity to escape life’s interruptions and progress with your application to become a HEA Senior Fellow, receiving expert analysis and feedback in the process. Held over one day, the retreat offers you the chance to transform your notes and thoughts into an application that matches the HEA’s criteria for Senior Fellowship.
HEA Senior Fellowship offers you the chance to be recognised for your sustained record in teaching & learning and specific aspects of teaching provision, showing that you have demonstrated a thorough understanding of effective approaches to teaching and learning support as a key contribution to high quality student learning.
The HEA’s Senior Fellow Writing Retreat enables you to engage in some critical reflection about your professional practice and influence on others in higher education. It will provide you with an opportunity to discuss experiences with others in the process of completing their own Senior Fellowship applications. The retreat also allows time and space to process your thoughts and draft that all-important narrative for your Senior Fellowship submission.
“The Senior Fellow Writing Retreat provides you with the opportunity to progress with your application and engage in critical reflection about your professional practice in higher education,” says Rajesh Dhimar, Academic Development Officer for Professional Practice at the HEA. “You will gain a clear understanding of the criteria required to become a Senior Fellow. The event offers you time out of your busy schedule to work in an open, independent and focused way to consolidate your professional practice, gaining support from peers who are also aspiring to achieve Senior Fellowship in the process.”
The retreat includes a briefing on what becoming a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy entails, plus group discussions and one-to-one advice and guidance about completing your application. The day’s agenda follows a flexible format catering to the needs of those attending.
The Senior Fellow Writing Retreat is intended for small groups. Space is therefore limited, so booking early is advisable.
This event has already taken place.
Who should attend?
Anyone with a sustained record of effectiveness relating to teaching and learning – incorporating for example the organisation, leadership and/or management of specific aspects of teaching and learning provision – who is looking to attain Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
Who is delivering the writing retreat?
The retreat will be led by Rajesh Dhimar, Academic Development Officer for Professional Practice at the HEA.
HEA Fellowship is an international recognition of a commitment to professionalism in teaching and learning in higher education and demonstrates that your practice is aligned with the UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF).
To date over 95,000 individuals have become Fellows of the HEA.
Benefits to the attendee
- An opportunity to find time and space to build the narrative of your Senior Fellowship application
- On-hand advice, encouragement and expertise ensuring that the information going into that application is the right information
- The chance to share ideas with others also seeking to become HEA Senior Fellows
- The opportunity to enhance your continuing professional development
- Held at a centrally located venue with good transport links over the course of just one day, so as to complement your working schedule
Benefits to the institution
- An opportunity for you to proactively invest in the continuing professional development of your staff, something they will appreciate and your students will in turn benefit from
- Demonstrates your commitment to learning and teaching by taking part in the external recognition and reflective process associated with HEA Senior Fellowship status
- Held over the course of just one day, so as to complement your timetable and resources
- The course can, on request, also be run as an in-house training session at your institution
Friends House, 173-177 Euston Rd, Kings Cross, London NW1 2BJ
'Raj was really helpful and his delivery of the morning session was well-paced and he conveyed information in a clear and coherent manner. The afternoon writing session and one-to-one were really useful and I feel confident to progress my application further. Thank you!'
Those who have attended previous writing retreats have told us that they are 'well organised', 'well run' and 'very helpful', so don't miss out!